Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sugar vs High Fructose Corn Syrup

Sugar vs. High Fructose Corn Syrup

Is one better or worse for you than another? According to many manufacturers, sugar must be better than high fructose corn syrup because they are making many products now with sugar instead. This article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html?_r=3&th=&adxnnl=1&emc=th&adxnnlx=1237633956-lRXq/A2lceILmq7OCo5n+w explains what some food makers and scientists have to say about this new trend.

High fructose corn syrup was invented in the 1980s as a cheaper alternative than sugar (by 20%). Shortly after that, started the rise in obesity in the United States. Many people have been talking about this correlation for years. It seems that now the food companies are taking action.

Scientists and nutritionists, on the other hand, are saying that both are about equally as bad for you because they both raise your blood sugar. It seems to be that the moral of this story is to avoid high fructose corn syrup, but try to keep your sugar intake as low as possible too.

Certainly Baby Products are Safe - Aren’t They??

According to research done by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, more than ½ of the baby care products they tested contained 2 different chemicals that are known to cause cancer (1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde). Dioxane has been banned by the European Union for use in personal care products.

The product makers claim that these charges are overrated and that this group is unnecessarily alarming parents. I tend to agree with the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics on this one - "The levels we've found are relatively low, and the industry often says there's just a little bit of carcinogen in my product," Malkan said. "The problem is, we're finding a little bit of carcinogen in many products. Many of these products are used every day, so we've got repeated and frequent exposure to these low levels of chemicals. They're not the safest and purest products, and parents ought to know that." Here’s the full article if you want to read it http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/12/AR2009031202940.html?wprss=rss_health

I know I have mentioned this before, but if you want to see how your favorite personal care product rates, check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ and enter it there to find out your results.

Get in Shape and Lose Weight

I’ve found another option to help me exercise more regularly and thought I would share it with you. I have very little use for television, but I have found a nifty little channel on our satellite TV channels called FitTV. They have exercise shows on almost all day. You can turn on the TV at any time and exercise with whoever is on at that time. Even if I watch at the same time each day, the routines are always different. I turn it on at noon every day and get the same instructor, but have yet to do the same exercise routine. If I don’t like what they are doing, I will use some of the exercises I have seen on the Jillian Michels DVD (30 Day Shred) or her short videos on hulu.com .

The only thing you have to watch out for on FitTV are some new age shows and ideas. If I don’t like it, I don’t use that show. This is the most consistent I have ever been with exercising in my life! I don’t get sore with these routines. If I want to be sore and sweat I use any of Jillian Michels videos and then I feel those muscles the next day. FitTV has some good workouts too though.

What about “and weight loss“…. If I want to get in shape I use FitTV. If I want to lose weight, I use Isa. Nothing else works for me (even consistent exercise). I’ve been using it for 3 years now and have not found anything that comes anywhere close to the results I get with it - not to mention the health benefits - but that‘s a whole newsletter in itself.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

My Weight Loss Story - How I did it and how I kept it off

I had tried to lose weight after my 3rd and 4th children and just couldn't seem to shake it no matter how much I exercised or "watched my portions". I always had this pouch in front and the more I exercised the bigger it seemed to get. Then a friend told me about a new technology that sounded too good to be true. We are all taught that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. In this case I got some amazing results that some people still don't believe.

After using a 9 day program I was able to lose 11 pounds and almost 14"! I have kept that off for over a year now and lost several more pounds and kept that off too. My energy level increased and my mental clarity improved. This has been an incredible experience. I had an awesome coach who guided me every step of the way. Once I hit my goal weight I lost additional inches. I found it easy to stay on track and incorporate this as a life plan.

See How to Shed the Pounds Without the Rebound! Body cleansing (not colon cleansing) is the key...

See How to Shed the Pounds Without the Rebound!  Body cleansing (not colon cleansing) is the key...